Currently viewingCancel
Hey, it looks like you're new! Why not discover the benefits of Sheffield Progress.

Understanding University terminology

What is Further Education?

At University there are different types of courses and they require different qualifications to apply for the courses.

Foundation Degrees

A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of a university course. It allows students who don't meet the entry requirements for the normal course to fill in the gaps and go on to study a full degree

Undergraduate Degree

An undergraduate degree (also called first degree, bachelor's degree or simply degree) is a colloquial term for an academic degree taken by a person who has completed an undergraduate course. It is usually offered at an institution of higher education, such as a university.

Post Graduate & Master’s Degree

Postgraduate courses cover higher-level study, including master's degrees, doctorates (PhDs) and postgraduate diplomas. These typically require you to have completed an undergraduate degree, often with 2:2 honours or higher, before you can study them.

Types of master’s degree include:

  • MSc (Master of Science)
  • MA (Master of Arts)
  • MEd (Master of Education)
  • LLM (Master of Law)
  • MBA (Master of Business Administration)
  • MRes (Master of Research)

You do not have to study for a master's degree immediately after finishing your bachelor's degree - many people opt for further study after they have begun their career in their chosen field, particularly if they feel it would enhance their career prospects, or if they wish to specialise in a particular area of expertise.

Applications to enrol on postgraduate courses are made directly to the University.


UCAS has a list of all terminology and abbreviations



Home Courses Help & Guidance Upcoming Events
Sign In
Favourites Get in touch