A Level French provides a continuation of the 4 language skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing at AS level. A good level of linguistic ability is a marketable skill - a language is increasingly demanded in commerce, marketing, law, leisure and tourism, sales and engineering. Cultural and linguistic knowledge is extended throughout the period of study, including film and literature. Students will spend an additional hour per week with the Foreign Language Assistant and there are opportunities to take part in trips and exchanges. Students from all Sheffield schools are encouraged to apply.
Social Issues and Trends
- Aspects of Francophone Society: Current trends
- The changing nature of family
- The 'cyber-society'
- The place of voluntary work
- Positive features of a diverse society
- Life for the marginalised
- How criminals are treated
Political and artistic Culture
- A culture proud of its heritage
- Contemporary francophone music
- Cinema: the 7th art form
- Teenagers, the right to vote and political commitment
- Demonstrations, strikes - who holds the power?
- Politics and immigration
- Key verb tenses, moods and voices
- Nouns, articles and gender
- Adjectives and adverbs
- Conjunctions and discourse markers
- Questions, quantifiers and intensifiers
Works: Literary texts and films
- Kiffe Kiffe Demain - Faiza Guene
- La haine - Mathieu Kassovitz
Minimum of grade 6 at GCSE.
Students with AS or Advanced GCE French have access to a wide range of possible career and higher education opportunities. You learn and use a variety of transferable skills throughout the course. A modern foreign language supports a range of subjects including Law, Business and Economics, Engineering etc. Language A Levels are highly regarded by businesses and can lead to University Degrees which are even more sought after in a business world where borders are rapidly disappearing.
Languages are essential for careers in Teaching/ European Union/Translation/Most businesses dealing with Europe where speaking an additional language is an advantage e.g banking.