Business focuses on the key functions of any business regardless of size and ownership: Marketing, Finance, People and Operations Management. You will also study the wider business and economic environment, analysing how this impacts on business decisions
and the strategies companies develop as a consequence.
You will study a range of issues that cover the everyday activities of businesses such as;
• Marketing, including market research, promotional methods, pricing strategies and the growing use of social media to promote and respond to customer needs
• Finance, including costs, revenues, breakeven analysis, cashflow and budgets
• Production, including the different methods of products, lean manufacturing techniques and the importance of quality and efficiency in the production process
• Managing people, including workforce planning, recruitment and selection, motivation and leadership styles
• Business strategy, including mergers and takeovers, market and product development, globalisation, emerging economies and ethics
You will study techniques to help a business formulate a strategy for example, critical path analysis, decision trees and ratio analysis.
You will also study lots of topical business issues and current news items and be issued a pre released research theme which paper 3 will be based upon.
Minimum average GCSE score required 4. Grade 5 English Language. Grade 4 Maths.
Routes into Apprenticeships, Higher Education and / or Professional Careers include:
Accountant, Financial Services, Marketing, Local Government.
Students have gone on to careers in / as:
Business Analyst, Project Manager, Risk Manager, Human Resource Manager.