The occupation covered by this standard is Construction Site Engineering technician and typical job titles can include: Assistant Site Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Civil Engineering Technician or Construction Site Technician. In the case of SME construction companies the roles are likely to include Site Engineer, Civil Engineer or Project Engineer. They are associated with the dimensional control and application of engineering solutions on construction projects and are based on construction sites with occasional time in offices.
The main duties and tasks of a Construction Site Engineering Technician are;
- Dimensional control of construction projects
- Assisting design teams with civil engineering solutions on construction projects
- Supervision of specialist contractors
- Contribute to the control of health and safety on construction projects
- Recording, control and reporting of progress on a construction project
- Contribute to the minimisation of the environmental impact of construction projects
- Control the quality of works on a construction project
Learners will need to show competance in the following areas;
- Health and Safety
- Understand the principles and responsibilities imposed law and other regulations in a construction environment
- Understand the sustainability issues in projects across economic, social and environmental aspects
- Engineering Principles
- Understand engineering techniques, procedures and methods and the principles of design
- Construction Management
- Understand management principles and the project management lifecycle
- Planning and Organising Work
- Understand the importance of project planning and resourcing and be able to analyse different techniques
- Monitor Quality
- Able to define the quality required on a finished construction project
Individual employers will determine their own entry requirements, but the typical entry requirements for this Apprenticeship will be five GCSEs or equivalent, including Maths, English and a Science; or a Level 2 Apprenticeship.
This Apprenticeship will include the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to achieve Technician status with the Institution of Civil Engineers (EngTech MICE). The Technician Professional Review process for EngTech MICE is included in the end-point assessment process for this Apprenticeship and will lead to the designatory letters EngTech MICE and the status of Engineering Technician.