Why not start a successful career as a Software Developer?
This apprenticeship provides the fundamental skills and knowledge of software development and coding. By designing and testing code you will understand concepts and theories that are used in the industry and utilise these skills across a range of languages and paradigms.
You will focus on a number of programming languages (dependent on employer) and Object Oriented, Event Driven and Database programming skills, front and back-end end programming and logic, typically work as part of a larger team and build and test simple applications.
As an apprentice, you will also learn to interpret design documentation and specifications and be given the opportunity to work with seasoned professionals and practitioners and supported to learn the trade.
Love Programming? Looking for your perfect career? Then join us on our new Software Developer Apprenticeship and make an exciting start.
Our Software Developer apprenticeship equips learners with the advanced technical skills they need for their role, developing a core set of technical and academic skills.
Whilst learning how to build, manage and deploy code into enterprise environments, learners will cover the principles of software development, how to write high quality code (logic), develop effective software and build and test applications to engineer the perfect solution.
This apprenticeship will therefore cover:
- Logic – writing good quality code (logic) with sound syntax in at least one language
- User interface Design – developing effective user interfaces for at least one channel
- Data Analysis – effectively linking code to databases/data sets
- Testing – testing code and analysing results to correct errors found using either V-model manual testing and/or using unit testing procedures
Learners will also be expected to advance their learning in problem solving – applying structured techniques to problem solving, debugging and resolving issues; design – creating simple data models and software designs to effectively communicate understanding of programs; analysis – create basic analysis artefacts, such as user cases and/or user stories and integrate elements of deployment – by utilise skills to build, manage and deploy code into enterprise environments. To support these activities, learners will therefore cover:
- Software designs and functional/technical specifications
- Company defined ‘coding standards’ or industry good practice for coding
- Testing frameworks and methodologies
- Company, team or client approaches to continuous integration, version and source control
- Respond to the business environment and business issues related to software development
- Operate effectively in their own business’s, their customers’ and the industry’s environments
- Apply the maths required to be a software developer (e.g. algorithms, logic and data structures)
Follow software development lifecycle(s) – reviewing and appreciating similarities and differences (taking into account positives and negatives of approaches) between agile, rapid and waterfall software development methodologies etc.
We also aim to make our learners professional practitioners and develop skills, attitudes and behaviours commensurate with the competency of this role. This includes applying logical and creative thinking skills, analytical and problem solving skills, developing the ability to work independently and in teams, developing and using initiative and communicating effectively in a variety of situations to a range of internal and external stakeholders.
Individual employers will set the selection criteria, but this might include five GCSEs and/or A levels; a Level 3 Apprenticeship; other relevant qualifications and experience; or an aptitude test with a focus on functional maths.
You will need to find an employer to employ you as an apprentice. Please see our Apprenticeship vacancies.
You can progress onto higher level degree and/or apprenticeship study or apply for a vast array of digital roles that include:
Web Developer, Application Developer, Mobile App Developer, Games Developer, Software Developer.