Overview of the role
: Supporting engineers, surveyors and architects on construction projects.
A Building Services Design or Civil Engineering Technician will be able to:
1. Select and use appropriate scientific, technical and engineering principles, techniques and methods to contribute to the design and delivery of building engineering services projects. Ability to produce and self-check; calculations, models and drawings; use appropriate software systems and other tools for data gathering, CAD, BIM, Revit, project management; and assist with site surveys and inspection.
2. Work with others to contribute to produce integrated engineering solutions by the correct use of resources and time. This includes the ability to contribute to developing and evolving solutions to engineering problems whilst working to programme and within budget.
3. Manage and maintain the quality of their work and that of others. Assess the task to be done, plan/schedule work and manage time; decide when to allocate work to other people; maintain the flow of information; follow technical procedures, check work at an appropriate level and against appropriate standards and specification Keep well organised personal records of work undertaken.
4. Communicate effectively and appropriately with others using a range of techniques
including verbal communication, written reports, models and drawings.
5. Keep themselves and others safe by adhering to safe working practices. Ability to identify hazards and assess risks, follow safe systems of work and adhere to all company safety policies.
6. Maintain their skills base and learning.
5 GCSEs grade 4 or above including English Language and Maths.
You will also need to gain a suitable employer. You can do this through searching for vacancies on our website http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/apprenticeship/vacancies/ and applying directly to the employer. This will be followed by a competitive interview process.
Or by approaching employers yourself to ask if they will take on an apprentice. Once you find a suitable employer you should contact the college with their details.