Bricklaying allows you to work on a range of projects, from creating a single conservatory to building brand new homes or large commercial developments. A bricklayer’s job is to create and maintain structures, walls, chimneys, walkways and foundations using various types of blocks and tiles. They generally work on residential, commercial or industrial projects.
You could also work on restoration projects, refurbishing brickwork and masonry. To become a bricklayer, you will need to be able to read plans and work in an organised way. If you enjoy doing practical things and you are interested in construction, bricklaying could be the perfect career for you.
Barnsley Colleges’ Construction Centre, also known as The CUBE, houses innovative and inspiring work areas with industry-led equipment, providing a high quality learning experience for students.
To achieve the Level 3 Diploma in Bricklaying, learners must achieve 57 credits from the mandatory units:
- Principles of organising, planning and pricing construction work
- Repair and maintain masonry structures
- Constructing radial and battered brickwork
- Carrying out decorative and reinforced brickwork
- Constructing fireplaces and chimneys
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
Other modules include:
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Carrying out blocklaying, bricklaying cavity and walling activities
- Building solid walling, isolated and attached piers
- Interpreting working drawings to set out masonry structures
Employability skills are general skills that you will need in most jobs. On this course you will learn a range of employability skills such as teamwork, communication, CV writing and self-management, all of which are required by employers.
Successful completion of this Level 3 study programme could lead to progressing to a higher education programme at Barnsley College Higher Education, such as the HNC in Construction and the Built Environment. Alternatively, you could use the qualification to improve your chances of gaining an Apprenticeship which will give you valuable work experience.