This course will provide learners with the opportunity to explore health and social care in its broadest context and aims to develop independent learners who are able to successfully progress in to health and social care related professions.
The Level 3 Award, Level 3 Technical Certificate and Level 3 Technical Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care have been designed to enable learners to access Higher Education or assist with progression into the workplace.
These qualifications have been designed and written by a team of subject matter experts, and involved employers and Higher Education Institutions in the planning their content.
These qualifications cover a wide range of key subject areas in health and social care. The Extended Diploma includes a wide range of optional units, allowing learners to pursue an interest in the specific areas of social care, health studies and health
sciences, while still allowing enough diversity for the optional units to be tailored to suit a learners preferred progression path.
Learners will complete 18 units throughout their two years in college and will also be expected to participate in a minimum of 100 hours of work placement, which will be organised by the Placement Liaison Officer.
There is a mixture of study methods employed on the programme, these being lectures, practical exercises, group workshops, and discussions to stimulate your interest and enhance your learning.
All learners will receive two hours of tutorial provision per week alongside their programme of study.
The course has a number of core and specialist units which learners must achieve in order to be accredited with the CACHE Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care.
The following areas are covered:
- Communication for Health and Social Care
- Equality, Diversity and Rights for Health and Social Care
- Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Human growth and development
- Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
- Personal and Professional Development
- Psychological Perspectives for Health and Social Care
- Working in Health and Social Care
- Research Skills for Health and Social Care
- Public Health for Health and Social Care
- Physiology of Ageing
- Partnership working
- Health Education
- Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Applied Psychological Perspectives
- Health Psychology
- Dementia awareness
- Nutrition for Health and Social Care
You will be continually assessed on this programme through a wide variety of course work, which may take several forms e.g. an essay, a report, a presentation, and/or group work. You will need to complete and achieve a minimum of a pass grade for all your assignment work to be awarded the CACHE Level 3 Technical Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. The Technical Extended Diploma includes an Anatomy and Physiology exam.
• At least five GCSE at grades 4 or above including English and maths
• A Diploma at merit in a related subject with GCSE English at grade 4 and Level 2 maths
• You will also need to successfully pass a Disclosure Barring Service Check
Students will normally take part in an interview prior to being enrolled on the programme
On completion of this programme, you could apply for training in a career such as nursing, midwifery, or other paramedical professions such as chiropody, laboratory technician, operating department technician, cardiology or audiology.
You could also apply for other degrees such as Nursing, Mental Health Nursing Social Work, Health and Community Studies and Psychology.