Geography A level

Social Sciences

Social Sciences
Social Sciences

What will you be working towards?

Code SPA4
Qualification Type GCE A/AS Level or Equivalent
Qualification Level Level 3
Course type Full Time

Overview

The course comprises of both human and physical Geography. Human geography deals with how people and the environment interact and the way in which we both exist. Physical geography studies the scientific aspects of our world with an emphasis on how we can manage them

The course is not just theory; fieldwork is a major component of the course in both years.

During the first year (AS) there will be a solid grounding of geographical issues. Human and physical are studied with two compulsorily subjects, such as flood management and population change, along with optional subjects including food, energy or health issues. There will also be geographic investigative work and fieldwork

In the second year students undertake topics such as tectonics, climate change, world cities and the development of societies. There will be more fieldwork too, with the opportunity to choose individual areas of research.

 

Details

The course comprises of both human and physical Geography. Human geography deals with how people and the environment interact and the way in which we both exist. Physical geography studies the scientific aspects of our world with an emphasis on how we can manage them

The course is not just theory; fieldwork is a major component of the course in both years.

During the first year (AS) there will be a solid grounding of geographical issues. Human and physical are studied with two compulsorily subjects, such as flood management and population change, along with optional subjects including food, energy or health issues. There will also be geographic investigative work and fieldwork

In the second year students undertake topics such as tectonics, climate change, world cities and the development of societies. There will be more fieldwork too, with the opportunity to choose individual areas of research.

How will it be delivered?

100% written examination

Each year there are two written examinations. In the first year, the paper based on class work is worth 70% of the marks for AS, and the fieldwork paper gives the other 30% of the marks. It is the same format in the second year, but the marks change to 60% of the total for the classroom studies paper, and 40% for the fieldwork paper.

Entry requirements

Minimum of Grade C in GCSE Geography