Please note: By applying for this apprenticeship, you are expressing an interest.
You will have a conditional place on the course once you have applied directly to an employer and been successful at interview.
We would encourage you to look at a full time backup as well.
This apprenticeship programme develops the knowledge and practical/technical skills for those working as an apprentice in floristry. Floristry apprentices are based with an employer for a minimum of 30 hours per week and assessment takes place within the work place with students only attending college where a skills gap occurs or when additional teaching is required.
The college has links with floristry employers and will try to place apprentices in employment, however this cannot be guaranteed so we advise applicants to look for their own employer.
About the course
On this unit based course you will learn how to:
- Identify, check and monitor the quality of incoming cut materials
- Plan, prepare and construct funeral designs
- Plan, prepare and construct floral arrangements
- Plan, prepare and construct tied floristry designs
- Monitor and maintain health and safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Display stock to promote sales to customers in a retail environment
- Plus one additional optional unit of students choice
The qualification will form part of the Apprenticeship framework for Floristry and you will gain a City and Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Work-Based Floristry.
In addition to your main floristry qualification you will also study
- Functional Skills in English and Maths if necessary (see above)
- Certificate in Customer Service Level 2.
Staff and Facilities
At Hillsborough College you will learn from staff with a range of floristry qualifications and floral industry backgrounds. There are excellent practical facilities available for both Floristry and Horticultural courses.
- Contemporary, purpose built workshops and classrooms
- Three modern, fully automated glass houses
- Latest industry tools and equipment
- Several project gardens and outdoor planted areas.
Will the course suit me?
This course is suitable for those who wish to gain a floristry qualification while in employment and develop their careers within the industry. You will need to be practically minded and be prepared to do some study in your own time.
4 GCSEs at a grade 3 or above (or acceptable alternatives) including a minimum grade 3 in English Language and Maths no lower than a 2.
You will also need to gain a suitable employer. You can do this through searching for vacancies on our website http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/apprenticeship/vacancies/ and applying directly to the employer. This will be followed by a competitive interview process. Or by approaching employers yourself to ask if they will take on an apprentice. Once you find a suitable employer you should contact the college with their details.