Please note: By applying for this apprenticeship, you are expressing an interest.
You will have a conditional place on the course once you have applied directly to an employer and been successful at interview.
We would encourage you to look at a full time backup as well.
Designing, building, servicing and repairing a range of engineering products and services
Engineering Technicians take responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work they undertake within the limits of their personal authority. They also need to be able to demonstrate a core set of behaviours in order to be competent in their job role, complement wider business strategy and development. This will enable them to support their long term career development.
Engineered and manufactured products and systems that Engineering Technicians work on could involve mechanical, electrical, electronic, electromechanical and fluid power components/systems.
Engineering Technicians are predominantly involved in highly skilled, complex work and must, as a minimum be able to:
- Apply safe systems of working
- Make a technical contribution to either the design, development, quality assurance, manufacture, installation, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, systems, processes or services
- Apply proven techniques and procedures to solve engineering/manufacturing problems
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills in communicating both technical and non-technical information
- Have a commitment to continued professional development
5 GCSEs grade 4 or above including English Language, Maths and Science.
You will also need to gain a suitable employer. You can do this through searching for vacancies on our website http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/apprenticeship/vacancies/ and applying directly to the employer. This will be followed by a competitive interview process.
Or by approaching employers yourself to ask if they will take on an apprentice. Once you find a suitable employer you should contact the college with their details.
Typical job titles:
Engineering Technician, Aerospace Technician, Aviation Engineer, Maritime Engineering, Machinist, Mechatronics Engineer and Toolmaker