Maintenance & Operations Engineering Technicians covers 7 roles: Electrical Technicians; Mechanical Technicians; Control & Instrumentation Technicians; Wind Turbine Technicians Electrical System and Process Control Technicians; Electromechanical Technicians and Plant Operations Technicians. They will maintain the safety, integrity and effective operation of plant and equipment in one or more of the following Industries that are part of or have activities that are part of the broader national infrastructure Engineering Sector: the electricity generating environment, which may use a range of different fuels including coal, gas, nuclear, wind and other renewable sources; telecommunications power plants; oil and gas refining; nuclear waste reprocessing; processing and production of chemicals; pharmaceuticals; human and animal food; cosmetics; petrochemicals; sewerage and the exploration and exploitation of oil and gas.
A Technician will understand:
- First principles relating to the operation and maintenance of appropriate plant and equipment
- Relevant industry health and safety standards, regulations, and environmental and regulatory requirements
- Maintenance and operational practices, processes and procedures covering a range of plant and equipment
- The relevant engineering theories and principles relative to their occupation
- A Technician will apply their knowledge of plant and systems to safely perform maintenance and operational activities with minimum supervision. This will require them to:
- Comply with industry health, safety and environmental working practices and regulations
- Locate, and rectify faults on plant and equipment
- Communicate with and provide information to stakeholders in line with personal role and responsibilities
- Read, understand and interpret information and work in compliance with technical specifications and supporting documentation
- Prepare work areas to undertake work related activities and reinstate those areas after the completion of the work related activities
- Inspect and maintain appropriate plant and equipment to meet operational requirements
- Assess and test the performance and condition of plant and equipment
- Communicate, handover and confirm that the appropriate engineering process has been completed to specification
Technicians will undertake installation, testing, servicing, removal, replacement, maintenance and repair of a range of equipment, sometimes complex, as part of planned preventative and reactive maintenance programmes. They may also undertake decommissioning activities when plant is being removed from service.
5 GCSEs grade 4 or above, including English
Language, Maths and a Science.
You will also need to gain a suitable employer.
You can do this through searching for vacancies on our website http://www.sheffcol.ac.uk/apprenticeship/vacancies/ and applying directly to the employer. This will be followed by a competitive interview process.
Or by approaching employers yourself to ask if they will take on an apprentice. Once you find a suitable employer you should contact the college with their details.